At 9:01 PM -0700 10/24/07, Mark D Lew wrote:
On Oct 24, 2007, at 2:43 AM, dhbailey wrote:

All the toll highways in the U.S. which were built in the 1950s have been paid off yet many still continue to collect tolls.

Sure, but in those cases it's the government who is now pocketing the money. That's not very nice to the public, but at least it's profitable from the government's point of view.

Not to entirely disagree, but c'mon guys; roads, bridges and tunnels require maintenance--continuing, expensive maintenance--and while there may be disagreement over global warning (pace Al Gore) there's universal recognition that our infrastructure, including that built and the '40s and '50, is in major trouble simply because that maintenance has NOT been kept up. I'm sure that the arguments for extending tolls on toll roads explore that fact in GREAT depth! Anyone who had the pleasure (?) of traveling the Pennsylvania Turnpike in the good ol' days when the maintenance was NOT keeping up with the need for it knows exactly what I mean. If governments are "pocketing the money," they obviously have very leaky pockets!! What they're actually doing is moving the tax burden from general funds to a user fee.

And a similar practical argument can NOT be made for infinitely-extended copyrights.

John

--
John R. Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music