At 7:59 AM +0100 11/1/07, Jari Williamsson wrote:
David W. Fenton wrote:
Consider the case of Netscape, which chucked its entire codebase and started from scratch.

Which is kind of my point. A rewrite, using mainly the same kind of thinking, using mainly the same kind of tools, will not solve anything.

I think I understand both sides here, but they leave me confused. Partly because I've used Netscape exclusively since I first gained access to the internet, back in the early '90s, and have never wanted or needed anything else. Yes, it's now called Navigator, and it's based (apparently) on Mozilla or Firefox or whatever, which is supposed to be a big improvement, and yes, I'm learning to use Tabs, but it still gives me the functionality I need.

David's reasoning seems to be that Netscape lost money during a fallow period, but that didn't affect me and it apparently didn't cause the company to fail. Wouldn't it be a good business plan to continue supporting a program based on ancient code while at the same time developing a new program with new code and none of the old problems, designed to replace the older program, and able to open ALL files from the old program, regardless of version?

But hey, man, I'm just in the band!

John

--
John R. Howell