Jari,

when I read your message, I didn't agree. I doubt whether music notation, a
rather complex and not always logical process, can be handled in a simple
way.

But then I think I have been using Finale for almost 20 years. Even if they
were progresses, and big ones, you are right - the "core" of the program is
20 years old. I remember I did a song book for the church I was working for.
Finale 3 had no easy way to do slurs, you had to fine-tune everyone. 3.5
came out and hat "automatic" slurs - they were much better. So I deleted
every slur in about 300 pages and used the new ones...

And so on. I have used Finale so long I can do everything I want, but as in,
e. g. quark xpress, I do it the hard way. I have learned to use quite exotic
work-arounds to get to the goal. And I am tired of it.

Postscript (I have bought postscript printers for 20 years because of
Finale) worked on and off. After working fine for some years, it has not
been working fine for 10 years or so, Coda blaming Windows, but hell, why do
other programs like Sibelius work fine?

Sibelius is certainly newer, fresher, but it has the same problem as Finale.
It has grown over the years, adding features, adding features we need, and
certainly adding featers I don't need, but the interface - is not
up-to-date.

So the best thing is if one of the big music-notation-firms that hopefully
have learned of their draw-backs would create a new, easy-to-use notation
software that does everything the way we want and also offers the freedom to
do everything.

What I like more in Sibelius (compared to Finale) after just a few hours is
- in Finale, I enter music, and then spend most of my time doing layout
things - in Siblius, I don't have to spend so much time doing layout work,
because it's looking fine, by default.

So if Finale doesn't want to lose more clients, this should be its first
priority - we enter the notes and stuff, and Finale does the layout in a
satisfying way... We should not need to do both...

Fix its old bugs, but better reprogram it from scratch, using new
technologies, so finally (!) I agree with you, Jari, we need a new
program...

Kurt