Hello,

your friend is imho almost correct: nobody here in Italy would use Rit. poco. However, that's not incorrect.

Also, both diminuendo poco a poco and poco a poco diminuendo are correct.

As far as fair usage is concerned, I think musicians get poco rit. and rit. poco the same way (at a glance), because they are very small statementes.

Regarding diminuendo poco a poco I agree with your editor.

I hope this helps
Giuliano Forghieri