At 8:37 AM +0100 11/2/07, Giuliano Forghieri wrote:
Hello,

your friend is imho almost correct: nobody here in Italy would use Rit. poco. However, that's not incorrect.

Also, both diminuendo poco a poco and poco a poco diminuendo are correct.

As far as fair usage is concerned, I think musicians get poco rit. and rit. poco the same way (at a glance), because they are very small statementes.

Regarding diminuendo poco a poco I agree with your editor.

I hope this helps
Giuliano Forghieri

It does, and thank you very much. It is good to hear from native speakers. But we should also keep in sight the fact that we are not inserting instructions for native Italian speakers, but for musicians all over the world. Allegro does NOT really mean fast, and Largo does NOT mean dead slow, but to musicians they do. And even that changes when we get back to the time of Corelli or Telemann.

This is the kind of question that each of us will answer according to our own life experiences. I have never seen Rit. poco and therefore would never use it. And I have never seen Poco a poco diminuendo and likewise would never use it. Usage is what counts, not literal Italian syntax, nor even logic.

John

--
John R. Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music