At 10:08 PM -0600 11/9/07, Noel Stoutenburg wrote:
Margaret whitby wrote:
Twice in recent weeks one of the clues in The National Post (Canada) crossword puzzle has been --" Guido's highest note". In my ignorance I assumed that he was an opera singer that I'd never heard of. I'm sure that John Howell and some others must know the answer! thanks, Margaret Whitby
When I've come across this crossword clue, it's always referenced a two letter word, and when I've worked it back, I've come up with one of two answers: "la", and "si", depending upon the creator of the crossword.

Interesting. "La" would be correct whether talking about the gamut or the hexachord. "Si" did not exist in Guido's world, and would show the ignorance of the puzzle-maker.

John

--
John R. Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music