On Nov 24, 2007, at 2:59 PM, Adam Golding wrote:

thanks for your helpful responses everyone--chris, by "any others you need?" do you mean other combined articulation? yeah, well on a first glace it doesn't have stacatissimo+accent for instance or any triple articulations such as mezzo-staccato accent. i know i can add these symbols but now i'm scratching my head as to what will happen to human playback if i start doing that, especially with all the different interpretation styles (playback
accuracy is top priority for me here)

You can make an articulation out of a shape, which can contain two or more different characters. You can resize the shape, which helps a lot.

Some fonts have some different characters for articulations, like three dots (three dots plus a slur is one of the defaults, as I'm sure you saw). I use Bill Duncan's Articulations font, which has most of what I need. You will probably have to look around a bit. Try some of the default fonts included with Finale before you start going too far afield, though! Many engravers have gone the whole hog and bought Fontographer to make up their own glyphs for things they need. Jef chippewa appears to be the reigning king of this. I haven't gone that far, though.

Playback is part of the articulation definition, so there is no problem with most situations. About triple articulations; hmm, I'm not even sure how Human Playback would play that WITHOUT the articulation, so I'm stumped. Often playback solutions involve putting a playback passage into another layer which is hidden, then muting the layer that shows. This is too much kludging for me, since I rarely need excellent playback. On occasion I actually create a dummy staff with things I need when I don't want to clutter up my score with playback items. I don't include this staff in my score definition, though, or else I delete it before printing.

TGTools has some additional playback utilities as well.

Sometimes what I HAVE done, though, is to turn off the articulation playback (say, for an inverted V accent), and make up my own blank articulation that ONLY has playback in it. I can assign this wherever I need it, even on top of another accent, and it won't show. Human playback would ignore any articulation it doesn't recognize (like one of your fabricated shapes) so you can get the playback you need with invisible articulations or hidden playback layers.

Christopher