On my Mac print dialog under "Printer", there is a choice between my
regular printer and Adobe PDF 7.0. If I pick Adobe PDF 7.0, It launches
the little printer app which calls Distiller to render the file as PDF.

Seems like this should appear to a program as printing to a printer, not
a file.

**Leigbh