At 11:29 PM -0600 12/12/07, Henry E. Howey wrote:
I think we need a list survey of laptop versus desktop usage.

I, for example, have both, but my laptop is my real machine upon which I
do 60-70% of my work.

If my observation of an observed group of undergraduate students is
accurate, they are closer to 90% in laptop usage.

I think you're conservative. I'd put it much closer to 100%, especially since this university requires students to have computers, a compatible suite of software, and any departmentally-required software. Around here the desktop seems to have gone the way of the Apple IIe and Commodore 64!

I do all my work on an Apple MacBook Pro. We do have an eMac household computer in the kitchen, but I do no music work on it.

John

--
John R. Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music