I have just done it all in Finale with blank notation (except for the
excerpts) and text boxes. It is convenient to have it as part of the whole
Finale file. There are some limitations of Finale text formatting, but it
really is fine for most uses. Actually I have done whole books entirely in
Finale in which text boxes covered whole pages. Handier and less hassle than
what you proposed.

RY