Chuck Israels wrote:
Collective wise ones:

What is the best way to create a page of performance notes that includes text instructions and small (one measure) musical excerpts?

Can a word processing document (formatted with musical inserts) be dropped into a Finale page in toto? I have not had to do this before and am looking for advice.
I have done it two ways. One is to just do TWDT it in Finale, writing the notes, placing the instructions, and flowing the text from one text block to the next as needed. And I don't just limit it to notes. I used Finale to produce a complete program / libretto, including music for chorales / hymns for Stainer's Crucifixion, and J.S. Bach's St. Matthew and St. John Passions. The Bach had the German text and English translation side by side in two columns.

The other way is to use a word processor for the text, and Finale for the musical examples. I work on both documents at the same time, adjusting the margin settings as I go in each document. When done, I print both documents on the same piece of paper, printing the word processing document on one pass (not necessarily the first) and the musical example on a second pass.

Downsides: I did the Bach Passions with each section of the work in a two separate text blocks, one for the original text, one for the translation. The biggest pain is that other than selecting each block in the document, and then clicking to open, the text block editor provides no way to jump to edit a particular block, so that if one wishes to edit text block 432, one has to click the "up" button the appropriate number of times.

ns