On 26 Dec 2007 at 18:17, Christopher Smith wrote:

> I'm sorry I can't help you on the CIF file issue, but I have had CDs
> go bad before, and sometimes a different drive can read them. I have
> had particular success with the Apple Superdrives, which seem to be
> able to get past all kinds of errors that some other CD readers just
> choke on.

Yes, I tried it on my laptop, and it couldn't read it, either.

> I feel for you. This is a very real problem these days, as burned CDs
> don't seem to always last, and even a 70 year old vinyl disc or a 30
> year old cassette still has SOME info on it that can be read, but a
> ten-year-old computer file may as well be birch bark for all the good
> it does us.
>
> I hope someone can help you out.

Well, I'm hoping that one of us has a copy of the original CD that is
still readable. If not, we at least do have the MP3s that were ripped
from it. In the case of the disk I was working on yesterday, I do
have a usable disk with the vocal selections from the concert, but
the instrumental selections may be lost forever in their original
form.