I don't know if this problem started with Finale 2008a, but there is a problem with giving word extensions a horizontal offset.

The thing I want to avoid is having my word extensions (in lyrics) start too closely to a syllable or punctuation attached to that syllable. The default setting tends to make the line and the punctuation look like they are part of the same thing. Fortunately there is a horizontal offset in document options: lyrics: smart word extensions to make the line start further to the right. I think 5 or 6 looks pretty good for the font I'm using.

The bug that crops up is that once you put in an offset, every word ending gets a tiny line that is the length of that offset. It looks like there is a period after every word. This is worse than the original problem.

Did this bug just crop up recently? Is there a simple solution?

I await the wisdom of this list, which by the way, doesn't seem to be all that busy these days, before I report the bug to MakeMusic.

-Randolph Peters