On 20 Feb 2008 at 3:33, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I understand, and experience seems to bear this out, that computers running
> under WindowsXP will gradually run slower and slower over a period of  time.

I don't think this is true unless there's something wrong with your
computer, or unless you're installing crap on it all the time, or
unless you're gradually using up all your disk space.

> I am also told that there is a way to correct this (apart from things like
> defragging and erasing temp files).  I am also assured that this is not  easy
> to do but is in fact possible. It was implied, though not stated, that it
> involved, amongst other things, mucking about with things in the registry.

I don't see this problem myself.

> If all this is true, does anyone know where I might find instructions on  how
> to do this (or even tell me in an email how I can do it)

I don't think it's true, except for systems that are ill-cared-for.

> I currently have two all but unusable computers because even booting up is
> taking ten minutes or more.  Yes I have anti-virus software on one of them,
> the other one is never used online and so has had it removed (someone
> suggested
> that the slow speed was due to the AV software).  Erasing files made no
> difference either nor did de-fragging)

Do you use Internet Explorer? If so, quiting using that and using a
decent browser like Firefox could solve many of your problems.

If you've not been taking care of your system, then, yes, it could be
a mess, and the only thing to do would be to reformat and start over.
If you do that here's a couple of pieces of advice:

1. download all the Windows Updates you'll need before you reformat,
and burn them to CDs. This is much more easily done if you've already
been downloading them, but you can find out what you need by going to
Windows Update in IE and clicking on UPDATE HISTORY. You can then
print out that list and use the Knowledge Base article numbers to
find the downloads.

2. once you've re-installed Windows and applied all the updates and
installed all your software, make a restore point and make a backup
image. If you ever have to reformat again, you can just restore this
backup image and save all the time in Step 1.