Right, I just decided to get off my arse and try this out.  And while I
was wrong earlier about suggesting it would be too hard to reach, the
effect is completely different.  Quite apart from not being able to have
the specific pitches indicated ring out thanks to the intervening
harmonics at this higher position, the actual slide becomes a far more
dominant sound than the harmonics, and the overall timbre is
significantly different.

And far far too many supposedly-knowledgeable people don't have a full
understanding of harmonics...

I thought the seconds were notated an octave below the firsts, but I'm
saying that from memory.  The possibility that Stravinsky ended up
compromising with the D string gliss certainly seems to be a likely
explanation.