> The easy solution for 1910 or 1919 is to just play it on the
> D string,
> starting on the 15ma harmonic and glissing up (or, even conceivably,
> down, depending on from there.  You don't quite get the notes
> that are
> indicated, but you get the effect, and with all the violins, violas,
> and celli doing it, you certainly get the effect, if not
> note-for-note
> what's written in the score...
>
> ng

Hmmm.  To me, this certainly doesn't seem satisfactory on any level.  It
certainly doesn't 'get the effect', because starting on the octave
harmonic (whichever string) makes it possible to have each harmonic ring
out quite clearly, as is the case with the various other harmonic
glissandos in the lower strings.  And I'm not quite sure whether getting
up to the notated top note in the 1910 version would even be physically
possible, either because of the necessary reach with the hand, or
because it's going to collide with the bow.  As for glissing down, this
creates a different effect again, certainly not one which could be
claimed to pass for the scordatura.