Darcy, you have a point, but from an orchestral players standpoint, they see much of what is written in the name of scordatura as merely unnecessary: In _Pines_ why should cellists detune when there is a bass section that can divide (the passage in question is very soft); in __heldenleben__ the 2nds play into the viola range, something the violas can do much better; in the original example that started this thread a novice orchestrator did not know she had exceeded the low range of the violin by several notes, etc. These players do not want to risk a problem, even a temporary one, to their instrument for what they see as a musical situation that can be solved in an easier and better fashion than by one that causes its own problems..

A soloist, who gets the gig based on a unique work and gets paid much more dough, is in quite a different situation. Even the concertmaster playing "Dance Macabre" is, similarly. (And, yes, the former soloist MAY be playing her less than best fiddle! But she might not - she definitely has time to set it up for the next performance.)

I'm done talking out of my area, since we now have string players weighing in. I work with them and have parented a couple, but never got _really_ comfortable out of first position, myself.

RBH

Darcy James Argue wrote:
Also:

If anything, the issues you bring up ought to be of even more concern for a soloist, since they can't substitute an inferior instrument and must detune their main instrument. Any lasting tuning problems this might cause would be even more exposed and serious for a soloist, so if they were a legitimate concern, you would expect soloists to be more reluctant than section players to play a piece that called for alternate tuning.

I am inclined to believe that there is an awful lot of hoo-hah and superstition around this issue, and that the resistance of orchestral string players to use alternate tunings (even for an orchestral warhorse like _The Firebird_, fercrissakes) comes from the same place as the general resistance of orchestral musicians to do ANYTHING that falls outside of their usual comfort zone.

Cheers,

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]