Unless someone else has an insight, I would attribute this to the Finale voo-doo of older and edited files causing file corruption. I was told by tech support that my old method of clearing music out of an old file that I liked the look of to serve as a blank for a new piece was not advised, as it was sure to cause file corruption at some point. I don't know why that would cause it, as opposed to the myriad edits that one does in the course of building a new piece, but there you have it.

In Finale 2008, you can use ANY file as a style template (apparently to bypass this technique that I grew so fond of). But the few times I tried it, the resulting file was corrupted anyway, so I see no advantage after all.

Send it to tech support. They should see examples of file corruption (or perhaps it is something easy for them to find, like a hidden message turning the volume way down on those staves.)

Christopher