At 2:47 AM -0400 4/21/08, Adam Golding wrote:
How do we know Charpentier didn't accidentally forget the dot on the eight,
and that those two 32nd notes aren't grace notes?  Perhaps grace notes were
not written that way at the time, I'm not sure.

I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that "grace notes" in the modern (i.e. 19th century) sense were not used in the late 17th century, while appoggiaturas definitely were, so the only way to notate the ornament as Charpentier apparently wanted it was to notate it accurately and metrically. The French probably had a discrete sign for it.

As to forgetting a dot, sure, it can happen, but as it stands there are the correct number of beats in the bar, just offset by modern notational conventions.

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music