At 5:37 PM +0200 4/21/08, dc wrote:

As I said in a preceding message, the fact that it has an ornament seems to argue against dividing the value. How would one indicate that the ornament applies to the whole value?

An excellent question, and perhaps the reason he chose to notate it as he did. I don't have time to look up the table or ornamental signs in New Grove, so let me ask whether you've identified what the ornament actually is, and what effect the dot has on it. If it were a mordent, then it would only apply to the beginning of the note in any case, but if it were a trill that would be different, and require extending the trill squiggle.

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music