This has always been the tradeoff between Apple and Microsoft. Microsoft tends to value backwards compatibility, but moves very slowly to evolve their OS and software into superior products, since they are stuck in a quagmire of backwards compatibility. Even the ages old 8086 processor balonie(ie, interrupts, etc.) are antiquated and should have been superseded a long time ago, but haven't been in order to maintain backwards compatibility. That is a blessing and a curse.

Apple on the other hand, has made serious advancements in its hardware and software over the past 5-10 years. On the other hand, backwards compatibility is often a nightmare for customers and software developers both. That is the price to pay for a technically much superior operating system that is evolving significantly I guess, but make no mistake, there is a price to pay.

Pick your poison.

In summary, in doggie years (Apple), 5 years is an eternity and yes, Panther is ancient. But 5 years for Microsoft is nothing. Are they out of beta yet? (just kidding).

So yea, Panther is dated. Yes, XP is not dated. Leopard is awesome though. For me, lately I have fallen in love with Leopard and I'm getting rid of my PC's and going all mac.