At 4:59 AM -0400 7/16/08, dhbailey wrote:

There are also after-market Stand-Outs which slide over the stand from left and right edges and can be pulled out to extend the width of the music rack.

I've used them. In fact there's a stand right across the room with a set deployed. They work fine, with a couple of caveats: (1) The plastic is quite heavy--solid, but heavy--and if you carry your stand around much you'll feel it; (2) If either the desk or the lip of the stand has gotten bent, it's a major job to try to slip them on, or to extend them once on.

We used them for members of our Showband in our college entertainment ensemble, since their music was prepared accordion-fold, and they worked quite well. Today I would probably opt for the available 32" desk stand, which is probably lighter.

There is also an add-on plastic accessory shelf (or at least there used to be; I didn't see it when I checked the catalog yesterday), also of the same heavy plastic, and also needing an un-bent stand lip. If I needed one on a regular basis, again, today I'd probably go with the desk that has one built-in.

Lots of options, and none of them really overpriced.

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.