Pierre Bailleul wrote:
Hi all,
A segno sign (s) means to go back to the segno.
Do you think that It's correct to use also a 2 segno sign (ss) to go back to the same sign? Thanks for your responses.
Pierre

These days, most of the time D.S. is used, sometimes in conjunction with the Segno and sometimes without. I've seen editions of essentially rondo forms, where the A section is written once with a Segno sign and then at the end of the B section there is a D.S. and again at the end of the C section there is also a D.S.

My understanding is that if you were to use two segno signs that would indicate that you should go back to where there is a double segno sign, not that you would go back to the original segno sign. In other words, you simply match the symbols. At the obvious end of a section, a Segno sign indicates a return to the original Segno sign, and you can use the same instruction many times, each time with a single Segno sign to indicate a return to the original Segno sign.

The trickiest part may well be making sure the performer knows where to jump from and where to jump to once the D.S. has been taken. You may need to resort to verbal instructions such as "First time go to C" and "Second time go to D" at the end of the section which is to be repeated multiple times.

If you are doing this so that there won't be *any* page turns and can make the "road map" clear to the performer, I'd suggest doing it. But if the work already has at least one page turn, my advice would be to forget what you're trying to do and simply copy/paste the repeated section where you want it played to avoid misunderstanding and wasted rehearsal time. It has been my experience when working in groups, especially amateurs but surprisingly enough professionals also, that 1/3 of the people will understand immediately where to go and when and won't have any issues. 1/3 of the people won't have any clue and will voice their confusion quite vocally, often accompanied with profanity. And 1/3 of the people won't have any clue but won't know it and won't pay attention to the director's careful explanations and so despite everything the first few read-throughs will fall apart in confusion at the jumps.

--
David H. Bailey