Richard Smith wrote:
Sibelius does the same thing as Finale in this case. But, if I may give a player's perspective, I really prefer having the MM rest broken to place a DS or similar instruction. It doesn't look as good, but it's much more clear to me as to where it is to occur. I have played lots of music that had such instructions poorly placed and was confusing. I think instant recognition is more important than graphic beauty, especially in the high pressure world of one rehearsal (maybe?) before performing it.

But then, this brings up one of my favorite peeves. Why, when copy and paste work so well, do we continue to use complicated repeat patterns and nested endings that only consume limited (at least in my case) brain power when it's most needed for making music? The less we are distracted from the basics of music making, the better the performance is likely to be. It's really time to leave the archaic notation shortcuts of the handwritten era behind.

Often D.S. or D.C. instructions leave us with a 1-page part, which is about half as expensive to print as a 2-page part would be, and quite often that D.S. or D.C. section before the Fine or the Coda is only a couple of lines. Why should we make a 2-page part for only a couple of lines?

Musically, it's easy to get people to play the same section the same way (if that's what's desired) if they're looking at the same printed music. Often when looking at even the same music on a different part of the page, it doesn't come out the same way.

Finally, try printing a piece which is through-composed with no repeats, 1st-2nd endings or D.S./D.C. on a march-size piece of paper for a marching band which doesn't memorize its music. Go ahead, I dare you. :-)

As to the breaking of a multi-measure rest just so show that the D.S./D.C. instruction is at the end of that rest, everybody I've ever met musically knows that it goes at the end of the multi-measure rest, and that if it were to go anywhere else, there would be a shorter multi-measure rest with that instruction at the end.

I've never run into any musicians, even elementary school 1st-year students, who needed the D.S. or D.C. over a measure rest which was separated from a multi-measure rest.

You didn't make me mad, but don't sell those old-fashioned repeat structures short and don't sell your musicians short in their ability to cope with them. Anybody who can't understand them has no business calling themselves a musician anyway. :-)

--
David H. Bailey