I finally found where you change the hidden object shading percentage
(Program Options: View), but no matter how much you lighten the shading, it
still does not make hidden objects transparent - which means that they will
still completely obscure everything they are on top of.

Try this: create an expression that is a single letter of a *very* large
size font, and enter it in the score, use the context menu to hide it, then
drag it on top of some music. Try to lighten it so you can see what's
underneath it - it can't be done!

Brian Williams