On Sep 6, 2008, at 11:59 PM, A-NO-NE Music wrote:

On 2008/09/06(土), at 後1:51, David Froom wrote:

I have had a heck of a time with Finale and pdf going back a long time (to the beginnings of pdf as a standard format). I am now using FinMac 2009 on an Intel machine. I have consistently found that the pdf files were -- and still are -- unreliable. Generally speaking, they might or might not work on someone else's computer, often missing clefs or maybe missing out whole fonts.

No idea why you are having this problem. I always check on my XP machine which as no Finale on it, and it has been fine. The missing font issue seems to be things in the past, and I don't remember when that was. OS9?

No, there is an issue in OSX, but I never experienced it as badly as David was describing it.

I had missing font characters when a client brought my Mac pdf it to print in a printshop that was running Windows 98. Finale tech support sorted that one out quickly and easily.

On my OWN computer I got substituted items sometimes while viewing PDFs (even my own!) (in Preview but not in Acrobat Reader) until I ran Font Explorer (a free utility) and had it clear out the system font caches (but nothing else!), thanks to Robert Patterson for the solution.

David's problems seem to be deeper than mine. I used Acrobat Distiller 4 in System 9, and when I changed to OSX I was going to upgrade, but decided against the expense because the system PDF creation utility was so bullet-proof. Aside from a few "gotcha's", I have no reason to complain.

Okay, I should explain the gotchas. The Windows 98 one I mentioned already. PDFs created on Mac can break on Windows 98.

Custom smartshape arrowheads do not export in EPS in 2007 on a Mac. I haven't tried them in 2008 or 2009, but I hold little hope that they will export correctly any time soon. If you intend to create a PDF from an EPS, the EPS will be broken for all purposes if it contains a custom arrowhead.

If you are sending a PDF to a Windows user, the / character seems to be a reserved character. This character shows up by default in the PDF printed from a linked part if you have named a staff Flute/ Piccolo or a group Piano/Vocal. I found out the hard way that some FTP programs do not allow this character. Apparently, some don't like spaces in filenames either, so I removed them all and replaced them with underscores. Fortunately, I ran across a batch filenaming program called Renamer4Mac that easily did the job for all 300 or so files. Everything went like clockwork after this.

David, I suggest trying the FontExplorer solution to see if you still have characters missing or replaced. It certainly helped me.

Christopher