Christopher Smith wrote:

On 15-Oct-08, at 15-Oct-08  11:56 AM, John Howell wrote:

At 8:08 AM -0400 10/15/08, dhbailey wrote:

I can think of lots of reasons to send PDF files -- they can't be easily edited, everybody's computer has Acrobat Reader on it by now, and there are fewer hoops to jump through to print the files out and start playing the music.

Agreed. But one of those hoops can be the difference between U.S. letter and A4 paper size. That occasionally bites me when I download music from German websites and the margins aren't compatible. And I've even run into it with Asian students who have their computers set for A4 paper (and probably have their own printers, although where they get the paper I have no idea!). When I send one of those files to our departmental printer it recognizes that it needs A4 and sits there patiently waiting for someone to feed it, but we don't HAVE any!

This might be one of those platform differences. There is a setting on Macs that lets you print a PDF any size at all, including "fit to paper size" so the odd sized sheets will print with the least margins possible.

Same on Windows machines.

--
David H. Bailey