I laughed the first time I heard of the "jazz" font, myself, but I do understand the purpose of it working to overcome some of the prejudice against computer-printed charts in the commercial industry. I've even used it, on occasion, when I've retyped a missing page of a handwritten part, etc.

But, good lord, somebody fix that damn natural so it doesn't look like a sharp. We did the "Sha-Na-Na" show a few years ago (don't laugh, it's actually a pretty good group now). Nearly every tune was in E and ended with a D natural above the bass clef staff in my part. At the rehearsal I kept reading the thing as a sharp (I know, you'd think I'd learn, but I tend to default to what my eyes actually see in these cases.) so I penciled in a big natural above every one. This summer, we did the show again. All my pencil naturals were still there - but this time, in the rehearsal, the third trumpet player, who had the same voicing on nearly every last note, kept reading the (written E) natural as a sharp! At least I felt vindicated.

Perhaps guys who see the font all the time get used to it, but that's really not the point, now, is it?

I haven't checked it out on my own computer. I assume it's the "jazz" font about which I'm complaining, but it could be some other handwritten font that "Sha-Na-Na's" arranger used.

Raymond Horton
Bass Trombonist,
Louisville Orchestra

Richard Smith wrote:
As someone who has performed lots of hand written music (and prepared a fair amount myself), I want to comment on this thread. I'm sorry I was unable to reply earlier.

I have never understood the use of the "jazz" fonts. When I was a hand copyist, the goal was to look as much like printed music as possible. I do find most of the "jazz" fonts very readable and understand that there may be some psychological advantage for jazz musicians. I'm not sure it matters in commercial music.

I actually prefer 2 parts on a page; I like to know what my second is doing. I know MOLA doesn't approve, but I really like to see both parts. However, I dislike three (or more) per page. The typical piano playing arranger reads these as chords and sees no problem with it. But an orchestral musician who must pick out the middle voice(s) has a very difficult time.

A pet peeve of mine is music with unnecessary ties in the middle of a bar because the other voice (or layer) has a different rhythm and the engraver didn't take time to move the parts to different layers.

In music with 2 parts per page, accidentals moving from one voice (or layer) to the other should always be marked. Orchestral musicians (unlike the piano player arranger) are only reading one line and will miss the second accidental in the bar.

Someone remarked that hairpins were not missed but text was. Very true. The hairpins are more obvious and usually more accurate. Also, when sight reading, they are likely to be higher on the list of priorities.

As to time sigs, bigger is probably better. My favorite is the number over the beat note, ala Carl Orff. Unfortunately neither Finale or Sibelius do that well and I rarely see it anymore. I think that kind of meter sig is much more precise.

Enough for now. This is already to long and it's late.

Richard Smith
http://www.rgsmithmusic.com