Darcy James Argue wrote:
You should *never* use just "M" or "m" for chord symbols, regardless of the font.

I know Christopher disagrees, but I prefer either the geometric symbols ("∆" and "-"), or "MA" and "mi".

I believe Christopher uses "Cmaj7" (which is okay, though I *greatly* prefer CMA7) and "Cm7" (which is fine so long as you're not also using CM7 in the same chart).

Chord symbols like "CM7" are, IMO, entirely unacceptable under any circumstances.

I'm with Darcy on this one -- when I see a pitch with the letter M (capital or lower case) and a number, my brain always takes it as minor.

But I part ways with Darcy on the "CMA7" -- for some reason for me, seeing a 'j' makes things so much clearer, since 'major' is the only chord term that uses a j. Put the 'j' in the chord and it's always clear and easy to read -- "CMAJ7" or "Cmaj7" or "CMaj7" makes no difference. It's clearly a major chord when the j is present.

--
David H. Bailey