On 3 Nov 2008 at 20:49, Johannes Gebauer wrote:

> On 02.11.2008 David W. Fenton wrote:
> > BTW, I'm THRILLED that nobody could find my splice. I don't have
> > great tools for this kind of thing (I used Audacity to split the file
> > into Beginning/End/Middle WAVs and then sewed them back together with
> > the Exact Audo Copy WAV editor, which works better for me in that
> > regard than Audacity itself). This kind of thing is *much* more
> > difficult than I'd ever imagined -- it's quite complicated figuring
> > out where the notes begin and end (though the <> shape of viol notes
> > make it a lot easier!).
>
> To be honest, I don't think Audacity is a particular high tech tool for
> editing classical recordings. With the right tools this kind of thing
> would be really easy.

Am I looking for a "particularly high tech" tool? Well, no. I'm
looking for:

1. cheap

2. easy to use

3. flexible and full-featured

Of course, I'm not going to get all three, but I think for a free
tool, Audacity is not bad.

It is certainly good enough for what I need to do.

And with the splice, it (and EAC's WAV editor) seems to have been
good enough that nobody could detect the actual splice (I said :42 to
:57 yesterday, but it was actually :42 to :52), so it really seems to
me that the tools I have were good enough to get *that* job done.

The rumble was an issue I wasn't worried about until Dennis mentioned
it, and given the compromises that come from removing it, I'm no
longer worried about it.

I'm sure there are pro audio tools that are designed to do splicing
for you in the easiest possible way. But I'm not likely to be using
pro audio tools any time soon.