At 11:39 AM +0100 12/21/08, Eric Fiedler wrote:
Kim,
I think what Telemann - and/or his copiest - is doing here in TVWV 1:644 is to alert the viola player to the fact that he is playing the same line as the bass, albeit an octave higher. This happens a lot in Telemann manuscripts, with even the violins often being written in bass clef to show the same thing, a phenomenon which some researchers call "bassett notation". In the case of the violins it's more obvious what the purpose of the notation is, but I suspect that the same thinking applies to such viola parts.

I haven't run into that notation, but I concur that the voicing was fairly typical. Bach may not have used it much, but Handel and Graupner certainly did, and it remained standard through the work of Mozart, Haydn and their contemporaries. More often 3-part than 2-part writing, of course, with either violas and basses in octaves and 2 real treble parts, or unison treble with violas filling in the harmony. But even Handel used 2-part treble/bass when he felt it was appropriate. We just played a Singalong Messiah, and in No. 9 ("O Thou That Tellest") the violas drop out for the last 12 bars for no real musical reason, and leave the ending ritornello to unison violins and bass line.