Sadly, you are in quite a bit there. MakeMusic making Notepad a $$
program was a fatal error in my opinion. They should have left it as a
free product.

But getting a pirated version of a program for a class? That is a good
way to get sued and potentially get fired. Seriously? Recommending to
pirate a software program because you can't pony up $10 for the
downloadable version?

Free was good, but $10 isn't totally unreasonable for what it
does........and they do offer a 30 day full featured