Oh, good to know, then--I hadn't actually tried protools yet--I guess they
also need to buy a company with a good midi editor ;-)

I just stumbled on the new Cubase 5 release--the new midi editing features
pretty much blow the competition out of the water for orchestral midi
work--click on 'superconductor' on their new intro:

http://www.steinberg.net/