David W. Fenton wrote:
[snip]

He actually had another trumpet, and the trumpet he played with the flugel horn did not look like a normal Bb trumpet (while the other one did) -- it looked like it had shorter tubing (the tubing was bent more like a cornet, thought it was clearly not a cornet at all -- the mouthpiece and bore were clearly a trumpet). But it did seem to me that when he was playing in unison that he was using the same fingering for both, so it surely wasn't in a different key.

Anyway, I was blown away by the fact that someone could pull of this stunt, but he didn't just managing it, like the dog walking on its hind legs -- he was actually quite good and played in tune with himself. There was even flutter tonguing!

Is this something that trumpet players do a lot as a virtuosic stunt? Or was this really unusual?

I love New York.

It's not something that lots of trumpet players do as a virtuosic stunt because it forces a player to develop two centers of the embouchure and some serious (jazz or classical) players might not want to move away from the single emouchure formation in the center.

But it's more common than what I would call "really unusual."

As for the trumpet/cornet issue -- many cornets are more trumpet-like than the ideal cornet bore.

As a matter of fact the F.E. Olds company made a Mendez trumpet and a Mendez cornet, and at a quick glance they were identical. The same wrapping of tubing. The only difference when you looked more closely at them side by side you could see that the tubing at the end of the mouthpiece receiver was smaller bore than the trumpet's tubing at the same location.

My instrument repair teacher told me that the only way you could be sure whether an instrument was a cornet or a trumpet was to put a cornet mouthpiece in it, and if it fit properly, it was a cornet. Or you could try a trumpet mouthpiece and if it didn't fit at all, the instrument was a cornet. The cups of the mouthpieces look the same quite often, from the outside. Only the size of the shank is different. The cups should be quite different on the inside, where it counts.

Of course the player you saw may have been playing a "pocket trumpet" which is simply a regular Bb trumpet, predominently cylindrical bore and all, full length but just wrapped around more so it's short enough to fit into a pocket. Not that people wear coats with pockets that large any more.

--
David H. Bailey
dhbai...@davidbaileymusicstudio.com