On 2/13/2009 7:37 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:
I don't think this is correct, Aaron. When you edit the MP3, you
aren't editing the original data, but a waveform that is result of
expanding the data from the MP3 file. If you save that waveform to
exactly the same bitrate as the original source MP3, you won't lose
anything that was not already missing in the original MP3.

I really don't think the latter part of this is true. I think the waveform will include some data which is interpolated from the lossy MP3. When you then save again to MP3, those interpolations are themselves subject to lossy compression -- they're not just recognized as interpolations and tossed out somehow.

As always, this is only the opinion of a reasonably experience layman. If anyone has links to contradictory information, please share.

Aaron.