On 13 Feb 2009 at 17:25, Darcy James Argue wrote:

> Here's what I understood you to be suggesting:
>
> 1) Open the MP3 in Audacity and up-sample it to WAV. Save the WAV
> version.

If by "upsample to WAV" you mean the same process that happens when
the MP3 is played, then, sure.

> 2) Make the edits in Audacity on the WAV version, then and re-encode
> for MP3.
>
> Instead, my first suggestion would be to use an editing application
> that operates on the original MP3 file and does not require you to re-
> encode -- which, as far as I know, is what is happening with the app I
> use (Fission). That would allow you to avoid having to re-encode the
> MP3, which causes more degradation than editing the MP3 directly.

I think that others are right to say that you can't work on the
original MP3, only on a copy of the waveform described by the MP3.
This is actually what happens with JPGs, too -- when you load a JPG,
it is uncompressed into memory as a bitmap, because that's what can
be displayed onscreen. Any time you view a JPG, it is uncompressed
into a bitmap. When you're editing the JPG, you're editing the
expanded bitmap, and when you save it, it is compressed for writing
to the JPG file.

I see this as pretty much analogous to how MP3s work, though I don't
have any apps that will "edit" an MP3 directly (like all graphics
programs edit JPGs "directly").

> Failing that: assuming David is correct that Audacity has its own
> native format, then Step 1 above seems unnecessary. Just open the MP3
> in Audacity, make the edit, then save back to MP3.

It's not a matter of opening it in Audacity -- the only files
Audacity can *open* are its own. Any other format you import into
Audacity, which means the waveform described by the file you're
importing is saved in Audacity's format (that describes the
uncompressed waveform).