HP interprets dynamic using either volume or velocity depending on what type of instrument is selected. Sustaining instruments get volume changes, non-sustaining instruments (like piano) get velocity changes. (At least, this is what happens when the Garritan instruments are used, not sure about SmartSynth).

I'm not sure this has to do with Matthew's problem, though. In Finale 2008, hairpins assigned to either piano staff affect velocity for both staves. I'm not using Fin2009 regularly, but If this is new behavior, it's unwanted behavior, IMO.

The workaround would be to copy the hairpins to both staves and hide the unwanted ones. But you shouldn't have to do that -- and in earlier versions, you didn't.

Cheers,

- Darcy
-----
djar...@mac.com