On 11 Mar 2009 at 17:35, John Howell wrote:

> What I do NOT like is the old fashioned way of having to make sure
> that a pickup partial-bar is subtracted from the bar at the end of a
> section, but that's still sometimes used.

If there's a repeat, how is that avoidable?

Here's an example of avoiding it, and I think it's really confusing:

http://dfenton.com/Teares/Scores/HasslerIntrada.pdf (p. 3)

Something about notating the 2 beats that our leading gives for the
tempo makes it harder to read. And the repeats are harder, too
(though in this case, Hassler begins the piece differently than the
repeat commences). I just don't see what's added by having those half-
note rests there.