On 12 Mar 2009 at 21:14, John Howell wrote:

> At 8:49 PM -0400 3/12/09, David W. Fenton wrote:
> >On 11 Mar 2009 at 17:35, John Howell wrote:
> >
> >>  What I do NOT like is the old fashioned way of having to make sure
> >>  that a pickup partial-bar is subtracted from the bar at the end of a
> >>  section, but that's still sometimes used.
> >
> >If there's a repeat, how is that avoidable?
> >
> >Here's an example of avoiding it, and I think it's really confusing:
> >
> >http://dfenton.com/Teares/Scores/HasslerIntrada.pdf (p. 3)
>
> That's exactly how I'd notate it, and I don't find it confusing at
> all.  I would, though, omit the 2 rests in the pickup bar, unless the
> intent is to notate exactly what Hassler had but in modern clefs.

Well, it's those two rests that have caused problems in rehearsal. It
confuses people as to how we're starting, and guides their eyes to
the wrong place when they repeat.

> >Something about notating the 2 beats that our leading gives for the
> >tempo makes it harder to read. And the repeats are harder, too
> >(though in this case, Hassler begins the piece differently than the
> >repeat commences). I just don't see what's added by having those half-
> >note rests there.
>
> In the pickup bar?  That's what I said.  There's NO need to have them
> in that context, and no confusion if they're omitted.

After I posted I realise I wasn't really disagreeing with you. I'm
still not sure if I'm convinced there isn't utility in the standard
practice (which, so far as I know, is still standard practice for
music that is metrical, i.e., where phrase lengths are an important
part of the musical content).

> Nice galliard, by the way.

This whole collection is very nice (it's from the
Lustgarten/Venusgarten), though we are still having ensemble problems
integrating 6 players where 1 tenor player is an absolute novice
(never played in a group before) and another tenor player is playing
tenor for the first time (and never learned alto clef when he was
playing bass -- shame on him!). Fortunately we got more than a month
to get it all together.