2009/5/31 John Howell <john.how...@vt.edu>

> At 2:22 PM -0700 5/31/09, Eric Dannewitz wrote:
>
>> No, that is NOT Speedy. Speedy allows you to be holding down a chord
>> and then deciding on the notes value. Sibelius, as far as I know, does
>> not have this.
>>

> I fully realize that different people have different ways of working, but I
> find this particular argument (duration before pitch or pitch before
> duration) rather amusing.  In hand copying (remember doing THAT, anyone?!!),
> you do both simultaneously, placing a note on a line or space and making it
> black or white, and then finish up the details.  And that goes clear back to
> monks with featers!  Any computer program breaks that down and requires
> doing one and then the other.  Big deal!  The human mind is really a bit
> more flexible that that.
>
> I used Mosaic for years, and I honestly can't remember the order for entry.
>  Duration first, I think, using the number keys, then pitch entry (which
> would make it more similar to Sibelius), but I honestly can't remember how
> the pitch was entered, except that mousing it (as always) was the least
> desirable option.  (So soon we forget!!)  But I can't remember getting
> emotionally involved about it, either.
>
> John

For what it's worth, when improvising or composing at the piano, you hit a
note first, and then later choose when to change notes or stop the note.
And when composing on paper you can write black noteheads without rhythms,
or rhythms without pitches, and that flexibility can be very useful (in
fact, I wish there were more cases of computer composition environments
allowing composition in such an 'abstract' manner where not all parameters
are initially specified..).