David W. Fenton wrote:

So, you're recommending that every time I place a fermata on a note that Finale puts it under the note, I have to drag it manually? That makes no sense whatsoever. I long ago changed my files to default to over in all cases. Should I ever have a divisi where I need two fermatas, above and below, I'll drag *then*.

No, I don't recommend that at all. I was just pointing out that *my* fermatas are placed correctly, i.e. above the note. I don't think I've ever changed their definition, so it appears their behaviour is original and correct to begin with. Maybe you have changed the defintion of your fermatas and don't remember it? Maybe?