At 7:08 AM -0400 6/15/09, dhbailey wrote:

I wonder if somewhere someone suggested that inverted marcatos (the right-side-up V) could easily be confused with an up-bow in string parts and so it's just best to always place them above the notes in the upside-down V configuration.

Unfortunately, when string parts go divisi on a single staff, it's often necessary to place the bow markings for the lower part below the staff because they are different from those in the upper part. This becomes an editing problem rather than a composer's problem, of course. But when this is done, neither the upbow nor the downbow marking is flipped upside down, while the marcato sign is. But most string players would not confuse the two, in context.

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.