At 7:07 PM -0400 6/26/09, David W. Fenton wrote:
On 26 Jun 2009 at 23:50, Owain Sutton wrote:

 I can see how the regular use of a persistent 'properties' window makes
 sense for some users, who will be routinely modifying all sorts of details.

I just experimented, using a Sib5 score I maintain for experimenting. I entered the word "arco" in Technique Text (a text class which automatically causes certain things to happen, in this case switching from pizz. to arco or back again). Using the Properties Window I very quickly changed that text to italic and then made it bold. Piece of cake, and a total of 3 clicks since I have the Properties Window open anyhow for the project I'm now working on. (It can be made more or less transparent, by the way.)

Of course I didn't know I could do this until someone HERE mentioned it within the last 24 hours, but I can and I did and it worked exactly as I wanted it to!

Am I wrong, or isn't arguing about the way two different development teams chose to implement any particular action something less than helpful?

And as far as the Windows GUI goes, those of us who have never used Windows at all couldn't care less, and most Mac users don't even have multi-button mice (although I do happen to have one). So complaining about what right-clicks do or do not do isn't very useful either.

Of COURSE any software will do things in one way or in another, and one of the most persistent complaints I've read on this List is the way functions in Finale have been moved around from one version to the next. As David Bailey has so calmly pointed out, maybe Finale does exactly what you need, or maybe Sibelius does, or maybe neither one of them does (especially in contemporary or non-measure-attached notation), but complaining just because they're different strikes me as something of a waste of time and effort.

I suspect that Sibelius is not as rigid as it's being made out to be,
and that Finale users like me who've found it frustrating have just
not figured out how Sibelius conceptualizes the desired tasks.

The best summary I've seen, David. A beginner would no doubt say exactly the same thing about Finale, coming from, say, Mosaic, or Music Construction Set!! Or Score, for that matter.

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.