David W. Fenton wrote:
On 27 Jun 2009 at 19:32, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:

On Sat, June 27, 2009 7:25 pm, David W. Fenton wrote:
All I know is what the researchers report, that overall, mousing is
faster than keyboard. I don't know exactly how they tested, but the
results have stood up over many years of assault from those who
didn't believe them.
Was it general public or touch-typists? I'm gonna guess general public, which
would make a huge difference. If you have to look, I'd guess mouse is faster.

I would assume that they tested reasonable users. I don't know the details of the study design, but Apple and Microsoft have both replicated it repeatedly. I would think both companies have very smart people working for them who know how to design scientifically valid studies, and thus think it's ridiculous to raise trivial objections like the idea that they just didn't test people who know the keyboard shortcuts.

Apple and Microsoft hire very smart people -- and very smart people know how to manipulate statistics. Far earlier than personal computers, Mark Twain made the observation that there are three kinds of lies: Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics.

Any researcher with an agenda can get the data to support that agenda, and companies who are desigining user interfaces around a mouse and who want to sell lots of units of mice would want data to prove that they're right.

Doesn't matter how old the research is, until a truly independent research company with no possible agenda other than the truth ran a study, I would hold any data from Microsoft and Apple concerning computers to be suspect.

--
David H. Bailey
dhbai...@davidbaileymusicstudio.com