Friends,

I've stayed out of the affray over whether mice or command line entry is faster. I do remember reading some of the research when it come out, however, and one thing I remember from the research is that the test subjects were drawn from across the spectrum of user abilities, from brand new, never before touched a computer, through power users, and I further remember that the results were that while for most people, mice were faster and more intuitive, but that when it came to power users, their productivity was higher with a command line (keyboard) interface than with a mouse.

Microsoft and Apple both had a vested interest in selling as many machines as they could, and since the power user was a small part of the potential market, the idea was to make the user interface as easy for everyone else as possible.

ns