Does anyone have any background on a number of notation programs which are virtually unknown in the U.S. but seem to have dedicated followers elsewhere, sometimes quite nationally based? I generally run across mentions of these on more general music listserves, on which the users are rather surprised that no one else seems to know or use them. And of course on the sites where musical scores may be downloaded in various forms, sometimes including these kinds of files.

I think there may be one that takes the name of Mozart in vain, but my memory may be off.

And does anyone actually understand why both Finale and Sibelius seem to be rather more expensive outside the U.S., which I understand is the case, but again, that may be old news? Is there an actual reason involving taxes or duties or something, or is it just a matter of marketing and charging what the traffic will bear?

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.