My own preference is:

1) Anything that affects tempo (including Accel. and Rit.) above the staff in 14 pt. bold type.

2) All other techniques above the staff in in 12 pt. regular type, except...

3) Expressions that affect dynamics: "sub. p", "sempre f", "cresc." "dim." etc. -- these go below the staff in 12 pt. italic type.

Cheers,

- Darcy
-----
djar...@earthlink.net