At 10:56 AM +0200 7/9/09, Jonathan Smith wrote:

Rule of thumb for the piece title or main title is to make the largest letters the same size as the staff height.

Interesting. I generally like the title quite a bit larger. Where does this suggestion come from? (Your other suggestions make very good sense, by the way.)

Just out of interest, I did a survey a long time ago with singers - to see which font they preferred to read for lyrics. The vast majority elected a sans serif font, one with a more 'hand written' look to it than a classic 'printers' font.

Even more interesting, especially in the face of (presumably) much earlier research that found a serif font more readable. That's why "Times" and almost all other newspaper fonts are serif fonts. But "hand written"? I wrote vocal charts for many years in 2B pencil or ink by hand, and as a singer *I* would certainly prefer to see a printer's font! I'm curious: what age group and experience type did your singers fit into?

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.