Noel Stoutenburg wrote:
Mark D Lew wrote:

Whether Microsoft allows use of the fonts outside of their software packages that include them, I don't know, but I do know that MS has the right to license them however they choose.

The fonts are presumably included in the license for certain Microsoft products, including Windows Vista, and Microsoft 2007 and 2008. If you don't have Vista, you can purchase a license to use each font for $35.00 US each, or for the entire package, $299.00 US, from the Ascender Corporation (<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascender_Corporation>).

That agreement between Microsoft and Ascender may be why the license with Microsoft Office is so restrictive.

Regarding the "honesty" issue -- one is forced to agree to the terms without being able to negotiate those terms, and if one is forced by modern business practices to use Microsoft Office for compatibility reasons with clients, then one is forced to accept the licensing terms whether one wants to or not. I'm not so sure it's an "honesty" thing if one chooses to use the fonts one is forced to accept in whatever way one sees fit.

Who could reasonably expect an end user, when looking at a long line of fonts in Finale or any other non-Office application, to know which fonts out of the potentially thousands, were licensed only to be used for Office applications?

If that's what Microsoft expects of its users, then it had better come up with a means by which those fonts licensed to be used only in Office applications appear *only* in the font list of the applications they're licensed to be used with and to be omitted from the font lists in all other applications.

--
David H. Bailey
dhbai...@davidbaileymusicstudio.com