On 12 Jul 2009 at 19:51, dhbailey wrote:

> But I doubt that they ever expect to enforce that at all --
> it's more likely something they were forced to include in
> their licensing from whomever they licensed the fonts in the
> first place.  Microsoft probably doesn't have the right to
> license you to use those fonts with anything other than the
> applications for which they licensed the fonts in the first
> place and that language is in the license to placate the
> originators of the fonts.

This imaginary licensing restriction DOES NOT EXIST.

Microsoft has in-house people who create these fonts.

If they are installed on your machine (and you didn't copy them from
another machine), you have the legal right to use them with whatever
applications are installed on your computer. That's the purpose of
Microsoft providing these fonts -- so that everyone has available the
same set of standard fonts. This is the second such font set that
Microsoft has developed (the first included Tahoma, Verdana, Georgia,
Trebuchet MS, and the much-maligned Comic Sans MS), and they are
intended for wide use.

Nobody has provided a EULA that says their use is restricted in in
any way, and they wouldn't serve the purpose they were intended for
by Microsoft if they were restricted in that way.